123 Money

Reclaiming Car Tax

Do you own, or have owned a vehicle which has a valid road tax disc but which you no longer need to tax? Perhaps this is because you have sold the car, transferred ownership to another person, scrapped or dismantled it or exported your car to another country. Maybe you have been the victim of a crime and your car has been stolen, or maybe you are no longer liable to pay tax for your car either because you are eligible for an exemption (such as the nil-tax value rate for disabled people) or because you have taken your car off the road and made a SORN declaration to the DVLA. In all of these situations, you may be entitled to claim a refund for any unused road tax.

How to get a refund on car tax

If you think you may be eligible to reclaim road tax, you need to make an application to the DVLA, who will consider your circumstances and issue a refund if they consider you have a valid claim. The usual method of submitting your claim to the DVLA by downloading and completing a Car Tax Rebate Form (Form V14) which then needs to be sent to the DVLA at the following address: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AL. You need to attach the relevant tax disc to the form before submitting it, so that the DVLA can cancel the disc and issue a refund for any remaining entitlement.

If you do not have the tax disc, it may still be possible to claim your car tax back, however in order to make your application for a refund you need to complete an additional form (V33) which can be obtained from your local DVLA office, or by calling the enquiries line on 0300 790 6802. If you are claiming a refund for a tax disc which cannot be returned because it has been stolen, you will need to provide a Crime Reference Number as issued by the Police, and also wait 7 days after the theft has taken place before submitting your claim.

Road tax refund calculator

It’s fairly straightforward to work out how much road tax you will be able to reclaim. A refund can be claimed for any complete months of tax entitlement which remain at the time you submit your claim. So, as an example, if your Tax Disc expires at the end of November and you submit your claim in September, you will be entitled to claim a refund for 2 full month’s tax. If your vehicle was taxed for a period of 6 months, the amount you paid would have included a 10% administration fee and any refund received will not include this amount. Similarly, if you submit a claim without returning the relevant Tax Disc you will be liable to a £7 administration charge which will be deducted from any refund to which you are due.

How long does it take to get a refund?

Once you have submitted your car tax rebate form to the DVLA along with any supporting documentation, you should expect to receive your refund by cheque within approximately 6 weeks. You should bear in mind that you are no longer entitled to use the vehicle on the road once your application has been submitted, unless a valid Vehicle Tax Disc is displayed. If you have not received your refund, or any other response from the DVLA within 6 weeks, you should contact the DVLA enquiries line on 0300 790 6802


Find out more about car insurance groups and how you can save on car insurance.

Comments are closed.

Login to your account

Can't remember your Password ?

Register for this site!